I have been using a real nice application “Search Everything” that I think is worth sharing.
Windows search is not my favorite, I find it rather cumbersome, and rather slow. Search Everything takes the application about 5 – 15 seconds to index the entire drive. Search results are returned live as you type. By default it searches all files, temp, system, hidden, you name it.
Here are some creative uses and wildcard searches I often do.
- To restrict your search to a certain subfolder use a backslash
- To restrict your search to a specific drive letter
- Finding misplaced files, say a .pst or .doc
- Verifying the pc has no lingering .doc, .xls, jpg, .pst files before formatting the HDD
- Also great for finding an infection’s location if you know process file name
The installer or portable version can be found on the developer’s site: http://www.voidtools.com